Hull FC 6-22 St Helens: Tommy Makinson thwarts Super League play-off bid

Hull vs St Helens
Super League
7:45pm Friday 13th September

The KCOM Stadium

Tommy Makinson scored a first-half to ensure Hull FC’s last-ditch bid for a Super League place finished in failure.
Wigan Warriors’ 26-8 victory over Castleford 24 hours before handed Hull one chance to secure a top-five spot.
Nevertheless, they were not good enough to make the most as high-flying Saints ran out thanks to the treble of Makinson and second-half scores for Regan Grace and Mark Percival.
Full-back Lachlan Coote that was visiting transformed only one of his five shots in goal, although it could have turned into a winning margin.
Saints’ most recent victory came after confirming former Tonga head coach Kristian Woolf are the replacement for Justin Holbrook second season, however, the boss does not wish to end his stint as a guy.
Beaten by Warrington Wolves in the play-off semi-finals of last season, Saints, also as favourites, also went down for their neighbours in last month’s Challenge Cup final.
That defeat ended fantasies of a treble after finishing runaway winners of the League Leaders’ Shield. They are still in contention for further silverware this season – like Hull.
Thanks to Makinson’s treble, the home side trailed 14-6 at half time and watched their hopes of securing a spot fading fast.
Makinson swooped to his bit down after twenty five minutes from full-back Coote’s cut pass. He also added his second six minutes later after Theo Fages floated a kick.
Three was a number for team and the player when he admitted yet the next Coote pass six minutes from the break to finish his hat-trick.
In between, prop Scott Taylor powered on a Jamie Shaul pass to give Hull hope of a comeback – and’d Marc Sneyd clung on to his own kick with all the try-line at his fist.
Despite that setback, Hull began as Ratu Naulago attempted desperately to attain Albert Kelly’s kick the second half added another attempt.
Saints wanted their defence to keep the Black and Whites and, with soaked up pressure, they broke away to depart a fourth try to Hull in deep trouble after 63 minutes out of Percival.
Luckily for the home side, they were left by the wayward location of Coote from drawing level. But as despair set in, Hull’s last-ditch tactics failed to add the crucial points.
This was game over when Grace put the finishing touches to Saints’ win on to ensure a year extension for Castleford that is thankful.

Read more: cheltenham tips for friday

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *